Celebrate St Patrick’s Day like an Irishman with Master Chef Kevin Dundon’s recipe for Beef and Irish Stout Stew. Everything at Raglan Road is delicious but this stew is a must-try if you haven’t.
Beef and Irish Stout Stew
675g/1lb 8ozn beef, cut into 2cm/1 inch cubes
1 tbsp.olive oil
2 tbsp. olive oil
25g/1oz/2 tbsp. butter
2 large onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves
150g / 5 1/2oz carrots
150g / 5 1/2 oz celery
150g / 5 1/2 oz parsnip
2 sprigs thyme
25g/1oz/1/4 cup plain flour
2 tsp. tomato puree
500ml/17fl oz generous 2 cups Irish stout
300ml/ 10fl oz./1 1/4 cups beef stock, warmed
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper, to season
- Drizzle some olive oil into a pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. Add the meat to the pan in batches and quickly brown. Remove the meat from the pan and place in a casserole dish, season lightly.
- Using the same pan, add the remaining butter, then add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, parsnip and thyme and cook for 3–5 minutes. Season well.
- Add the Irish stout and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato puree.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Liquid should reduce by at least 1/3.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.