One of the most popular restaurants at Disney World is Le Cellier Steakhouse located in the Canada Pavilion at Epcot. They are known for their excellent steaks and this amazing soup. The Canadian cheddar cheese soup is so popular that they even offer it at the Canada booth during the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. Now you can make this comfort food at home!
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup
½ lb. bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 medium red onion, cut into ¼ inch pieces
3 celery ribs, cut into ¼ inch pieces
4 tbs. butter
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. chicken stock
4 c. milk
¾ lb. grated white cheddar cheese
1 tbs. Tabasco sauce
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
½ c. warm beer
Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
- In a 4-5 quart Dutch oven, cook the bacon, stirring over medium heat about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned
- Add the red onion, celery, and butter, and saute until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after you add the milk.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer. If the soup is too thick, add some warm milk.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives.