One of our favorite items at the Epcot Food and Wine Festival is the Tacos de Camarones (shrimp tacos) from the Mexico booth. With this recipe you cane make these shrimp tacos at home, 10 to be exact. Muppet fans, you’ve got to watch this video of the Swedish Chef making them!
Tacos de Camarones
2/3 cups mayonnaise
7.5 ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, puréed
Vegetable oil for frying
1 egg white
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon parsley, dried
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup water
1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, about 30 to 35 shrimp
10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
3 cups shredded red cabbage
3/4 cup favorite salsa verde
For chipotle sauce:
- Mix mayonnaise and puréed chipotle peppers in a medium bowl until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
For tempura shrimp:
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375˚F in a deep fryer.
- Beat egg white in a small bowl until frothy and light. Do not overbeat. Set aside.
- Mix together flour, cornstarch, salt, parsley, paprika, baking powder, garlic powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add water and egg white; mix until smooth.
- Add shrimp and toss until fully covered with batter.
- Drop 6 to 8 at a time in hot oil. Do not overcrowd. Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove fried shrimp and drain on paper towels.
- Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of chipotle mayonnaise on flour tortilla and place 3 shrimp down middle. Top with small handful of cabbage and drizzle with salsa verde.