Last year we attended the Swan and Dolphin Food and Wine Classic for the first time. It had been on our list for the past couple of years but we could never manage to be there when it was happening. However, this time, we had to be there and we were so glad we were. The event is amazing!
So we already told you about the event. Now it is time to tell you all about the delicious food that we sampled. Joining us was our good friend Tony Caselnova from Disney By The Numbers, and John and Sarah Donahue.
- Friday: Hand Cut Garganelli with Veal Cheek Ragu, Organic Vegetable and Micro Chives
- Saturday: Yukon Gold Potato Ravioli with Chanterelle Mushrooms, Truffle and Charred Onions
The food at Il Mulino was some of our favorite. It was no surprise to us because we love this restaurant. The food is consistently good and this was no exception! The ragu on the garganelli had a lot of flavor. Those of us that like mushrooms really enjoyed the ravioli. The black truffle was a nice touch too.
- Tuna Tartare with Sexy Scallions with Nitro Aioli Miso Cracking; Oyster Shooter; Huckleberry Foam Rock Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Jalapeño Slaw, Pickled Onion and Micro Cilantro
If you’ve dined at bluezoo you know that Todd English creates an exquisite menu. The Tuna Tartare was so good that we went back for seconds. It was so fresh! We enjoyed getting to see them put the Nitro Aioli Miso on the tuna too. The only dish none of us were crazy about was the Oyster Shooter and most of us enjoy raw oysters.
- Carved Prime Rib with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Horseradish Crème Faîche and Watercress
Shula’s Steakhouse is owned by Hall of Fame football coach Don Shula. It features exceptional steaks and the carved prime rib was just that, exceptional. It was tender and flavorful. Even those of us that don’t like prime rib enjoyed it enough to go back for a second round.
Cib’s Smoke Shop
- Friday: Texas Style Beef Brisket with Brioche Puree, Rhubarb Pudding and Garlic Chips
- Saturday: Handcrafted Bacon with Black Eyed Pea Puree and Maple Fluid Gel
This might have been the best overall. We found the food both nights to be amazing. The Texas Beef Brisket was so tender but the highlight was the Handcrafted Bacon. At Cib’s Smoke Shop guests could choose from a variety of Swan and Dolphin Executive Chef Robert Ciborowski’s barbecue sauces.
- Friday: Dragon Roll
- Saturday: Spicy Yellow Fin Tuna
Kimonos, located in the Swan Resort, offers fresh sushi. At the booth, you could watch the sushi chefs hard at work preparing the dishes. Our favorite? The Dragon Roll with crispy shrimp, tuna and avocado.
- Friday: Falafel-Chick Pea Fritter with Tahini and Traditional Garnish
- Saturday: Lamb Gyro – Braised Lamb, Toasted Pita and Tzatziki Sauce
The Falafel and Lamb Gyro are part of the Fountain Features on Fountain‘s menu. The gyro (14.25) is served with potato chips and the falafel (11.95) with a side salad. We didn’t get a chance to try the gyro but we did enjoy the falafel. It’s a perfect dish for vegetarians!
- Friday: Open Face Tomato and Handcrafted Mozzarella Sandwich with Sweet Basil and Locatelli
- Saturday: Fish n’ Chips – Beer Battered Sustainable Bass with Tartar Foam and Vinegar Chips
Garden Grove at Swan Resort is a buffet which features characters nightly. We loved the Fish n’ Chips – beer battered bass with tartar foam and vinegar chips. The fish was hot, fresh and perfectly cooked. It was some of the best fish n’ chips we’ve had. We want this recipe!
- Friday: Short Ribs Oscar – Braised Beef Short Rib with Maryland Blue Crab, Asparagus and ISI Hollandaise
- Saturday: Pan Seared Shrimp n’ Grits with Pickled Okra and Organic Tomatoes
We are huge fans of Todd English’s bluezoo. The food is always amazing! What does that mean? This was too. The steak was perfectly cooked, the shrimp perfectly cooked… I don’t think you could ask for more.
- Taqueria-Corn Tortilla Barbacoa of Beef, Braised Pork or Organic Vegetables with Cheddar Cheese, Lime Wedge, Lettuce, Onion, Shaved Radish, Pico de Gallo and Assorted Hot Sauces
Open 24 hours, the whimsical Picabu is located in the Dolphin Resort. The restaurant set up their very own taqueria. Guests could choose from barbacoa of beef, braised pork or organic vegetables to fill their corn tortilla and top off with cheddar cheese, lettuce, onion, shaved radish, pico de gallo, hot sauces and lime wedge. This was just so much fun and good too!
- Friday: Thai Chicken Salad with Organic Greens, Green Papaya and Tamarind-Ginger Dressing
- Saturday: Blackened Fish Sandwich with Butter Lettuce, Tomato, Caramelized Onion and Old Bay Remoulade on a Sesame Seed Roll
Fresh is open just for breakfast and lunch and features Mediterranean cuisine. We enjoyed the Thai Chicken. It had pretty good flavor and not spicy like one might think.
Cabana Bar and Beach Club
- Friday: Belle and Evans Chicken Yakitori with Edamame Relish and Lemongrass Foam
- Saturday: Yu Chen’s Vegetarian Bao
The Chicken Yakitori with edamame relish and lemongrass foam from Cabana Bar and Beach Club was really light and refreshing. It would be perfect to enjoy on a hot summer day while relaxing at the resort.
- Selection of Desserts
Laurent Branlard is the Swan and Dolphin executive pastry chef and has been named one of the Top Pastry Chefs in America. It’s no surprise when you taste these sinfully good deserts. All of the desserts were so outstanding that it was hard to pick a favorite. One thing we all agreed on… the ice cream sandwich was the best we’ve ever had!
Check out our review on the Modern Mixology seminar hosted by Lindsay Skillman! If you missed our article on the Fourth Annual Swan and Dolphin Food and Wine Classic, check it out! Interested in attending this year’s event? We have all the details on our Fifth Annual Swan and Dolphin Food and Wine Classic page.