One of the best macaroni and cheese dishes that you’ll have at Disney World is the Gratin de Macaroni from Les Chefs de France in the France Pavilion at Epcot. Since you can’t always get to the restaurant when you’re craving this cheesy dish we’ve got the recipe for you to make it at home.
Gratin de Macaroni
3/4 pounds elbow macaroni or rigatoni
3 cups whole milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup flour
1 pinch nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter a large baking dish; set aside.
- Begin cooking macaroni until just al dente. Drain and set aside when done.
- While the macaroni cooks, heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat – do not let simmer.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour to melted butter. Stir 1 to 2 minutes, until butter-flour mixture is golden.
- Slowly whisk in warm milk. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cook sauce, whisking often, until thickened – about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add heavy cream and half of the Gruyère cheese. Stir until cheese is completely melted.
- Combine macaroni with cheese sauce.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into the large baking dish. Top with remaining half of Gruyère and Parmesan. Cover dish with foil. Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking until cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.